Campus Tours at the Museums (May-Oct)
May 24th – October 18th, 2024
Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday
For special events, see below.
- This event has passed.
Winter Walk: From Falmouth with Love
February 28 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
This February discover love stories connected to Falmouth’s more amorous past in honor of Saint Valentine’s Day. The tour will explore diverse sets of couples whose love stories continue to inspire us today.
Our winter walk, From Falmouth with Love, reveals the love stories of several real-life couples in Falmouth history. Some have famous names, others have been forgotten.
- One couple, Susan Wicks and John Crocker, were called upon to live out their marriage vow “for better or worse, for richer or poorer,” and rose to the occasion.
- Whaling couples like Lewis and Eunice Lawrence couldn’t bear to be parted for years on end, so they went to sea together, experiencing dangers and discoveries as a couple.
- Katharine Lee Bates lived in an arrangement called a “Boston marriage” with her loved one, Katharine Coman. Find out how Coman influenced Bates in the writing of her signature piece, “America the Beautiful.”
- Find out why Capt. William Bodfish and his wife Mary hold the unofficial world record for the shortest honeymoon ever.
- Finally, you’ll hear a few tales of love gone wrong—about a minister who had a stalker, and a rich bachelor who was jilted in public.
Take a break during this month of Valentine’s Day and learn the secrets of Falmouth’s bygone lovers.
Non Members $20/Members $5. Walk leaves from Conant House at 65 Palmer Avenue.